Saturday, July 23, 2011

Running Blahs

This is the second time this week I have taken a day off because I feel puny the day after a run. No fever, but achy, sneezy, congestion, and a faint sore throat. Two thoughts on why this might be:

1). I am fighting off a cold and since running can temporarily bring down the immune system, the cold is flaring up the next day.

2). I am not doing something right in the recovery phase, such as not drinking enough water or eating enough/the right things after the run, so my body is turning on me.

It really could be either, as I tend to not really eat much after a run and have to force food down my throat because I am not hungry. I doesn't help that I also don't eat much when I am feeling icky. I wish that it was the other way around: when I don't run, I don't shove food down the hatch at an alarming rate.

Needless to say, no 5 mile run today. Instead, naps and fluids. I had this problem in 2008 when I was first starting training for races. It might be too much training too quick, but I really don't want to admit that yet. Not until I start getting the knee & hip problems back will I give in. I am on a plan and I am doing an OK job of following it (I am certainly not doing more than the plan calls for!), so I am still hopeful. I'll hope for 5 miles tomorrow morning before we go to the beach to celebrate birthdays, eat fried chicken, and bask in the sunshine!

Anyone else deal with this? Anyone have an easy fix? I am such a baby and just won't run when I feel like crap. It DOES NOT make me feel better.

3 comments:

  1. I've just started running. It's my attempt at getting slim and healthy. I'm running my first 5k at the end of September. I hope I can stick with this, because I am sore as all heck and it sucks! I had no idea running temporarily lowers the immune system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It isn't running per say, it is when you push yourself hard with running or run a distance which is considered endurance (which 5 miles is not). I guess I am just pushing myself too hard?

    Running is a GREAT way to get in shape/vent out a bad day with the kiddos. After the first few weeks it starts to feel GOOD instead of terrible. When you are sore make sure to ice/compress. Ibuprofen is your best friend!!!!! Good luck getting ready for your 5k, there are some great races in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete