Monday, April 12, 2010

Week Two: Small Victories

Today reminded me that I don't always need my ipod to run. In fact, I actually need to shut it off so I can clear my mind. Sometimes I need to the rhythm of my shoes hitting the pavement to ease my soul.

This day was a whirlwind of emotions that nearly swept me away. So much of running is self-talk: that voice in your head that drives you forward and keeps you in control. Tonight's run was my way of regaining control and restoring balance. Normally on a day like this, I come home, eat a high carb meal, and curl up in bed to sleep my anxieties away. Instead, I ran, and every step reminded me that I am in control because I didn't let the day overtake me. With every step I took, I reminded myself that it was proof that I was in control.

No lies: today's run was awful, but I did my 5 miles and cut off a minute or so. I felt like I was going to throw up and pass out. I have a huge blister and my knee is killing me. It wasn't some race to personal freedom and now I and humming some happy tune. I still feel overwhelmed by the day. But, at least I have this small victory that I didn't let it get in the way of my training. Don't they say it is the small victories that make all the difference? Maybe I really am cut out for this marathon stuff after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment