Sunday, October 31, 2010

Verdict: New Shoes ASAP

When I bought my Saucony's to motivate my marathon training, the saleslady predicted that I would need a new pair shortly after the marathon. Boy, was she right! I think the shows were probably shot going into the marathon, which might be why I was having so many knee/foot problems during the race. Today on my first post-marathon run, I got a blister in the same stinkin' place (arch of the foot) and had this crazy pain in my foot, which turned into a shin splint, which turned into an achy breaky knee.

Needless to say, it was enough to motivate me to hustle over to the overpriced running shoe store for a new pair of kicks. I think my next pair is going to be Brooks Glycerin 8, which pretty much felt like running on clouds. I am pretty stoked for them to come in next week!

It felt really good to get out there and run, even though everything was so freakin tight and I had to stop 3 times to stretch out. I proudly logged 7.25 miles and I am super motivated to get back on a training schedule and start setting some new PR's. I think 2011 I am going to set new PR's for EVERYTHING!!!! That will mean running a 5k, 10k, half, and full. Very very excited. 

It was a beautiful morning. It has been raining for the past few days and the sun finally came out this morning right before my run. Running past the vineyards was amazing. The vines were still covered in raindrops, which reflected the sun like crystals. It was one of those moments that is so pretty, your brain makes a mental snapshot and you know you will remember that moment forever. Everything was so clean and crisp, and I even got a little sun. Although I was little achy breaky, it was a fantastic run.

I am still struggling with whether or not I should register for the Napa Valley Marathon. I know I will be able to set a new marathon PR because the course is easier and I am familiar with it. I really really want to sign up for a race so I can motivate myself to get on a training schedule. I need to make a decision by the end of November so I can have 3 solid months of training. But the month of the marathon is going to be insanely busy, I am afraid I am going to slack on my training and have some of the same mistakes as the Nike Women's Marathon. I am also kinda sad that I haven't been able to convince anyone to run with me. I can't imagine running without someone to talk to. Fellow marathoners, how do you do it? Maybe I can make a marathon friend between now and then...

I am already craving another marathon like whoa. Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have created a running monster.

2 comments:

  1. On the off chance that no one's told you this, have you tried DOUBLE LAYER wicking socks? A friend of mine tried everything and always got blisters. The double layer solved it, and it's always worked for me too.

    Marathons are easier with company. I had a running buddy for the first half of my last marathon. You just have to learn to self-coach....

    ReplyDelete
  2. will try the double layer socks! I have never really had blister problems until my last 2 runs. Guy at the show store was like, "um, yeah, these shoes are TOAST!" Hopefully new shoes will also solve the problem. I have heard good things about brooks.

    ReplyDelete